Want an easy recipe that you can make with the kids? Let’s make Friendship Pie.
It’s tasty, simple, and pairs perfectly with my newest children’s book release: Princess Winnabelle and the Friendship Pie. It’s a sweet and empowering story for girls – with a fun message of friendship and teamwork baked inside!
Follow the recipe below for a ‘beyond the book’ extension activity. I suggest making two – one for your family and one for a friend. I mean, it is Friendship Pie, it’s meant to be shared!
Grab a free digital version of the book here.
Tag me when you post a picture online, I’d love to hear who you shared your friendship Pie with! (@StoriesbyJKCoy FB and IG)
Friendship Pie Recipe
Makes One 9″ pie
*two 9″ pie crusts
*9″ pie pan
*7 cups fresh berries (or frozen) – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or blackberries
*1 cup sugar
*1 Tbsp lemon juice
*4 Tbsps Corn Starch
*2 Tbsps Butter
*1 large egg white beaten with a fork
*heart cookie cutter (optional)
- Add berries, sugar, and lemon juice to a large saucepan on the stove and heat on medium
- Simmer until warm and juicy (about 5-10 minutes) – stir occasionally
- Spoon out about 1/2 cup of the juice from the saucepan to a bowl. Stir cornstarch in to the juice until smooth
- Bring saucepan of berries back to a simmer and slowly pour the cornstarch mixture in. Stir gently until thickened (2-5 min)
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the butter, then allow to cool for 15 minutes. Pour mixture into an unbaked pie crust in a 9″ pie pan.
- Use heart cookie cutter to cut out a heart from the center of the additional unbaked pie crust
- Lay the 2nd pie crust on top of the berry pie and pinch the top and bottom pie crusts together. Optional: Brush a thin layer of beaten egg white over the top of the pie and sprinkle with a pinch of extra sugar
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 40-45 min. Check it at 25 minutes and place a piece of tinfoil over the top if the crust is getting too brown
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Allow it to cool for several hours. Once cooled completely, cut it and serve, or cover it and put it in the fridge to serve the next day.
Tip: You can freeze the baked pie for up to three months! Thaw overnight in the fridge then set it out and let it get to room temperature to serve.